In the 30s Great Britain decided to build new battleships. Between 1937 and 1942 five ships in the "King George V" class were built. They all survived World War II except the "Prince of Wales". The "Duke of York", which was originally designed as the "Anson" and went into service in 1941, was famed for the destruction of the German battleship "Scharnhorst" on 26th December 1943. The battleship was then used in support of the Africa landings, to protect the Murmansk convoys and in 1945 in the British Pacific Fleet operations against the Japanese mainland. By 1949 the "Duke of York" was on the reserve list and in 1958 it was broken up.